Week 8: The Constitution

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 8: The Constitution

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Choose 1 topic:

• How would you summarize the Constitution in modern language? Do you believe that it was meant to be “iron-clad”? Should we be able to change parts of the Constitution as time goes on? 

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 8: The Constitution

Post by Dain on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:19 pm

In Constitution, all American can bare arm, and it's because the past during the several time's war America citizen have to protect to themselves and they need the weapon to protect. So, to the American guns and arms are not just weapon it is a symbol of protection and braveness. I think that's why American loves gun so much. And nowadays terrorist attack innocent people in the USA, due to this there is an argument about the weapon in. Some people said they need guns to protect and others disagree with this. If someone asks me a case in Korea I will say weapons are not necessary but in the USA, I think don't have to change the entire constitution but I believe the government should more reinforce supervision in weapon market and the weapon bearers.

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 am

The Constitution is the supreme law. It is the national government's frame. The Constitution has been amended about 27 times. This is because to now a nation asks different thing from before. I believe that it was not meant to be iron-clad. that is strict. For example, the Second Amendment says that an individual’s right were protected by having own guns. In the past,  guns are needed for self defense from foreign invaders. However, since it environment is different now, the pros side has been struggling with the cons about the gun control problem. Also, We should be able to change parts of the Constitution as time goes on.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Society has been changing as time passes by, and our society had always have laws to protect the people and countries. The Constitutions laws are the basic form of laws in democratic society which ensure the human rights and liberty. Since Constitution laws have been applied for decades, it’s not really easy to change the contents of it. But there are increasing numbers of people who claims that the Constitution must change as time passes by, and I more of supporting these people’s idea. I definitely think that there are still many people who don’t feel satisfied and having reverse discrimination with the laws. So the government should try to reflect their ideas on the laws. Of course, it will be hard to rapidly change the law, but I think it will contribute to our society as a good source of making a better world.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree with Dain's opinion. She talked about people bearing arms. She was saying that that the America government should be more strict about this problem. I think she is trying to say that the laws have to changed and more strict about people bearing arms. Although I understant what she is saying, she didn't state an accurate answer to the question, so it kind of confused me. But her opinion can be a good example of my opinion so I support Dain.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dain on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

The Constitution contains identity of the country. So it is hard to change, but as CW said if we have to change it because our society is changing then we definitely have to consider to reform the constitution. Because, before the law, people were there. The country is for citizen it means constitution is for citizen too. So, I think if the constitution has failed law it must be changed by us.

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Constitution is law that we have to guard. The constitution informs how we live in the life. What we should do, what we should not do. So, in plain language, the constitution is a guard of the life. For example, in Korea, Drugs and guns are baned. If some one get drugs, the person go to the jail. So, koreans don't ues drugs. I think the ironcald constitution protects us from the serious problems. And, sometiome, the constitution has been changed. For example , guns is legal in America unlike the past. They changed the constitution for protecting thier people. So, It means the constitution can be changed to suit our requirements as time gose on.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I agree with Dain's opinion. She said that the legalization of the gun is for protecting the Americans. I agree with it. In the past, American people was attacted by people from other country. So, to protect the people, America allowed the gun for safe. I belive that the constitution should be changed to suit our requirements.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

The government uses a lot of power to protect people. However, despite the government's efforts, it is very difficult to protect individual citizens. Every country has its own culture. Its culture comes from history. The United States should have protected itself from the Revolutionary War. So, the bare arm has been legal. As a result, the culture of this country became orderly and became law. Over time, many things have changed. Many people want to change discipline according to these changes. Constitution was established under the democracy. We need to think again about what democracy is. A Democratic nation is accepting the opinion of the citizen. I think communication with the people is a key part of the democratic. I think the nation can develop a better country by listening to the voice of the people, and reinforce their Constitution.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I agree with DongUk. The world is changing so fast. It is not only the world that changes rapidly. People also change rapidly. Keeping the existing things in the changing world is a very difficult factor for the people. The public wants a little more regulation from the existing ones. It is very difficult to change rapidly as fast as he says. However, it is very important for a democratic nation to consider and accept each of the opinions of the public. However, I disagree one thing with Dain's opinion. I am positive about owning a gun. Governments work hard to protect the people, but it is very difficult to maintain individual safety. Other than gun, I think there are plenty of other weapons. That means guns are not a threat tool. I think history is a culture. That is why I agree with the US government strengthen the arms.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

The constitution is free,but not free. In law, there are many kinds of laws. Constitution is one of them. Constitution has official law and practical law. In Korea, the most representative thing is about democracy constitution. I think those things are so conservative things. I agree at that constitution is the 'iron-clad'. I know many Korea constitution. For example,the person, who had attacked by violence person attacked to him again both of them are punished by a law. I don't understand why both of them are punished by law. Only the person who attack first should be punishing. And I can't understand why the punishment's strength is different between minor and adult. Everyone knows in Korea the Pusan violent events. The reason why who hit the students girl was not punished by law because she is a student. I think this law should be fixed by government.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 am

The constitution was written long time ago. So it was written in an old language and old style. It contain a lot of laws, such as freedom of speech and bare arm. I can summarize the Constitution in modern language like this. And I don't believe that the Constitution was meant to be "iron-clad". I think that we should be able to change parts of the Constitution, because a lot of times have passed. So many thing was change and we should make change some laws in time. For example, in the past, bare gun can make sense, because in that time a lot of war was occurred so citizens need to protect themselves. However, in these days, I can make a lot of problem, too. So, like this, we have to change the laws with right way in each time.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 am

I agree with chaewon's opinion. she said that the Constitution was not meant to be iron-clad. Because, situation in now was different with before. So, she think that it should be change some parts as time goes on. For example, about bare gun. And I also think that the situation was changed so we need to change it as time goes on.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:26 am

The Constitution is a fundamental law of a country, which guarantee the rights of the people and form a political system. It contains many laws such as Bill of Rights. Even though the Constitution is so supreme that we would be punished if we violate the laws, that doesn't mean that the Constitution is "iron-clad". Of course it is hard to change, but it is little bit flexible, so since 1971, total 27 amendments have been made and changed. Important laws like baring arms or freedom of speech didn't chage, but I think some laws should change as time goes on.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 am

I agree with BK's idea. She said that Korea's democracy constitution is conservative, and I think that is true to certain extent. Many people think that some laws in Korea should be changed because so many violent cases are happening now, and many criminals abuse and curcumvent those laws. I also think this is not fair and should be changed.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

I agree with somin Lee. She said the constitution should be changed by anyone or government and I think constitution is too old to run for important law. It should not became important law. The constitution could not became iron clad because no exist forever in law or anythings except like nature. People and country or many rules are always change. Why many people think the law may not be change forever. It will change anytime if we are positive to change law. There are many law should be change in the world.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

The constitution is written in very old language such as "thou" Also, it is hard to summerize all the constitution. To introduce some parts , there is the right to bear arms, freedom of speach and things that are related to human rights and equallity. The constitution is hard to be changed and it didn't changed for a long time. But as the time goes on many things change so the law must change too. For example, back then, Americans needed to have guns for their own protection from British people but now they don't really need them. Bearing arms actually causes more peoblems

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 am

The constitution is written in very old language such as "thou" Also, it is hard to summerize all the constitution. To introduce some parts , there is the right to bear arms, freedom of speach and things that are related to human rights and equallity. The constitution is hard to be changed and it didn't changed for a long time. But as the time goes on many things change so the law must change too. For example, back then, Americans needed to have guns for their own protection from British people but now they don't really need them. Bearing arms actually causes more peoblems

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm

I agree with HJ's idea about the constitution. The world changes as the time goes on. It is almost impossible to persist on the same law that we had before. Even it is hard to fix the constitution, i think it is important to adjust them by the conditions. But still there are some laws that are consistantly important like protecting human rights and freedom.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 pm

I agree with Hyeonjo's opinion that the constitution is a guard of the life. This is because constitution is law that we have to guard. That is national government's flame. Also, although guns is legal in America, the environment of Korea is different. They changed the constitution for protecting thier people as where is it and when is it.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 am

The “Constitution” is the basic law in modern republic countries. It is prior to all other laws and every people have same human rights based on constitution. Before the establishment of modern democratic society, citizens can’t be guaranteed anything to the government except novelist and the Imperial family. Of course, It is very important to keeping social system, but it can be changed to the needs of the times. For example, the republic of Korea constitution was amended nine times during 60 years. Finally, I think every laws was made by people, and they exist to protect human right and safety. So, if the people want to change the social rules and it should be changed for public profits, it can be changed in accordance with public sentiment and social demands.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:50 am

I agree with Dain's opinion. Nowadays, I'm afraid about the wars and terrorism. In the past, the U.S. was a new country that was established by European pioneers. So, at first time, there were not any suitable social rules in the New World. Early colonists followed their own counties like British, but there were a lot of problems. They had to protect themselves, so they needed weapons. However, the U.S is not weak and new country. They are one of the strongest countries in the world. So the U.S. government can save their citizen. Therefore, I think they should change their constitution to fit to modern society.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top