Week 6: Immigrants & Protesters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 6: Immigrants & Protesters

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Why was the Boston Tea Party such a decisive action? Do you agree with the American protesters? What does “Taxation without representation” mean?

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 am; edited 3 times in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 6: Immigrants & Protesters

Post by Dong uk on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:23 pm

The Boston Tea Party was a protest held by the colonists. The reason of their protest was “Taxation without representation”. The colonists were angry with the British that they only taxed the colonies without representation. Taxation without representation means the British government didn’t let any colonists to be a member of the Parliament as a representatives and just taxed them. It was absolutely unfair, so the Sons of Liberty had to do something to show their anger. The Boston Tea Party was it. Colonists, the Sons of Liberty dressed themselves like Indians and went to the harbor of Boston. As they made it in to the British’s ship they threw the tea inside the ship into the sea in front of the British soldiers. This was a really decisive action. I admire them for their bravery. I think they showed their anger in a very wise way and without any violation. They did what they had to do. The Sons of Liberty were brave enough to resist the unfair deal of Britain instead of just facing it like the Loyalists. For these reasons I agree with the American protesters.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

The Boston Tea Party is one of the most famous American Protest against England. The Sons of Liberty, disgised as Indians and invaded England ships. They threw the tea all over the ocean. This happened because Engalnd only taxed the colonies and the colonists thought it was unfair. I toally agree with these actions that colonies did to fight for their rights and freedom. Someone need to stand for themselves when they feel they are treated unfairly. Sons of Liberty was the ones who did. It was a decisive action that later brought them to the War and the Declation Of Independence. A country is runed by the represntatives, leaders and the people vote for their leaders. Colonies were part of the England. They pay taxes for Englad but they could ont vote for their leaders. This is "Taxation without representation” .

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:54 am

At that time, there were a lot of discriminations between British and American colonists. So, the colonists had many grievance. In fact, after the Seven years war, British needed huge money to pay for the damage. Therefore, they shifted their economic responsibility to colonists. They used to some sleeky ways to impose a duty to colonist likes the Stamp Act and Sugar Acts. So, the colonists resisted to these discrimination. The Boston Tea Party was one of the these resistance. And, I agree with their actions because our country had similar history of struggle. And, “No taxation without representation” mean, the government can’t charge taxes without assembly’s approval. American colonists protested to taxation without representation by boycotting British merchandises.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dain on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:55 am

In that time, "Taxation without representation" was a problem. It means the colonist didn't have rights to vote but they have to pay taxes. And taxes were very high so, people's life was hard. Before the Boston tea party, the Britain abolished tax law without the tax on tea as a symbol of British power. Sons of liberty and colonist were upset because it was still taxation without representation. So I think their action was brave even if the outcome was worse than before.
Due to it, Tomas gage became new governor and Bostonian suffer intolerable Acts. But still, I think if there was no history like Boston tea party, it was impossible that America to became an independent country.

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am

In 1773, colony people suffered from high tax that British demaned. The British imposed very high tax on sugar, coffee, and tea. So, many colony poeple had a complaint about the high tax. The colony people broke tea boxes and throw the tea to the ocean. So, this event is called Boston Tea Party. In the past, there was a another complaint the the colony poeple had against the British. Although the colony poeple paid high tax to the British, they could not express thier opinion. For example, they could not vote. 'Taxation without representation' means that the coloy people could express thier opinion althogh they paid high tax. So, I agree with the colony because I can symphatize with them.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I agree with Doug Uk's thinking about coloy people. He respects the courage of the coloy, and I respect it too. Protesting against British must have been difficult fight to colony people. But, the colony people protesed brevely against the British. It made the independence of the colonys posssible. So, It can be explained that the brave made the independence possible.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 pm

The boston tea party was serious action. Many people think the boston tea party was a really royalty tea party, but that was wrong. In Boston, many of gang and soldiers were against to each other. The boss of gang whose name was Samuel Adams. He was so angry at governance because of their royalty active. So his gang and many people in Boston stood up to attack them. It is not really hard active, that is really a decisive action. Because it was justification of them. I agree with the American protesters. In any countries had protesters it was not wrong things. Protesters did many things. For example, broke many goods to against governor's soldiers. The taxation without representation. The English parliament had controlled colonial trade and taxed imports and exports since 1660. By the 1760s, the Americans were being deproved of a taxation rights, the imposition of taxes without the consent of parliament.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm

I agree with Hyewon's idea that the Colonies and our country,Korea had similar difficulty in the past. Just like America, Korea was colonized by Japan in 1910 to 1945. To become independnt from Japan we also had many protests and alot of innocient people dided from it. When a country face adversity, it is important to stand for themslves. If Sons of Liberty didn't fight back, they would never have gotten their own country. These acts eventually lead to big changes.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:35 am

Boston Tea party was such a decisive action. At that time, because of lots of debt from French-Indian war, England taxed a lot to American colonists. So they had to tax in many categories, like Stamp Act or Tea Act, but they didn't get the right of voting. So it was really unfair and action that ignored their rights. That's why many American argued about it, for example, "Taxation without representation." So I think Tea party was very resaonable act. Also, it was not that vionlent, so I agree with them. If I were them, I would act same as Americans.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 am

I agree with Hyewon's opinion. I like her idea that she agrees American protester's action because we had similiar historty, so we can understand and sympathize them. During the Japanese colonial period, in Korea we had fought against Japan many times. Many countries in the world had similar histories like that, and even now still exists in many countries. So I think people's fought for free is really meaningful.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 am

The Boston Tea Party was occurred by Sons of Liberty, which was formed by protesters. They protest about "Taxation without representation". In that time, British got a lot of debt after the French-Indian war, so they demand a lot of taxes for colonists. That's why colonists have to pay a lot of taxes. However, they couldn't vote. They didn't have a right to do it. Like this, taxation without voting right was "Taxation without representation". Colonists thought that was unfair. So, they did the Boston Tea Party to express their anger. That's why it was crucial action. They trying to express their mind and change it instead of just staying. I think it was right action for them, so I agree with their action. I would do same thing, if I were there.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 am

I agree with Myungster's opinion. She explain that the Boston Tea Party was action that protesters threw the tea all over the sea to against England. And she evaluate them good. She agree with their action, because she thought that people have to protect themselves when they in trouble. I agree with this part. I also thought that people have to act and change for them instead of just sit by and watch.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 am

The Boston Tea Party was a decisive action in the American independence. In 1773, It was a protest about politics by the Sons of Liberty in Boston. They disguised in order to look like Native Americans and threw a lot of tea into Boston Harbor. I agree with the American protesters. It was resistance for the unfair Tea Act. The Boston Tea Party  is a movement to resist political injustice and make more change. Taxation without representation is to be taxed not by a British who were not represented only by their own elected representatives. This is also a reason why Colonists opposed to the Tea Act.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dain on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am

I agree with Hyeji, their problem was high taxes but also colonist felt they didn't have an equal right. What if British treated colonist as a British? probably, even though they had to pay high tax but they were not aggressive and hate like that time. What I mean is the Boston tea party was caused by tax and unfair action of the Britain,

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 am

I agree with Dong uk's opinion that Taxation without representation was absolutely unfair. This is the reason why colonists, the Sons of Liberty protested in Boston. They should have been only taxed the colonies without representation not the British government. Also, I agree The Sons of Liberty were brave because of resistance about the unfair deal of Britain.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:03 am

Money and politics are very closely related. Without money in the country, the government can not do anything. Therefore, the government takes taxes from citizens. Because of the seven years of war, the UK suffered the huge cost, so the UK has given high taxes on American colonies. The Boston people who were angered by the unjust tax collection caused riots. There are some people who have sparked the flame of independence in American independence. These are the sons of liberty. They were protesting against Britain's unjust politics. Their courage came as a great thrill to me. I felt a kinship with them because I am a Korean citizen who suffered similar colonies. I have a great deal of sympathy for their actions. Without them, I don't think America would be present. "Taxation without representation" means that the government can not afford to impose taxes without Congress. That means that a government must gain permission from the people or groups who suffer the consequences. I think this is the backbone of democracy.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

I agree with Somin and Myungster's opinion. They agree with protester's act that protecting themselves in the trouble and fighting with their free and right. There had been hundreds of thousands of people in the America colony who fighting for independence by sacrificing their life. Some of the brave men move the independence spark to the other place. Some of the brave men changed the America history. And I have the same idea with Hyewon. Korea has a similar history that they were specific country's colony. I can feel American colony's pain, and I can sympathize with them.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 am

I agree with Donguk's opinions. Because every change need to struggle and having a will of reformation. I think Sons of Liberty were kinds of trailblazer. They had the frontier spirits that can make social change. They wanted to get a free and rights from the British Empire. In the world history, most colonies had a hard time before they get a independence. And, no one can get a free automatically. The back side of glory, there were the supreme sacrifices and endless challenges.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top