Week 4: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 4: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Choose 1 Topic:

• Describe the effect of slaves and tobacco on the Southern Colonies.
  • Describe religion in the Northern Colonies in the 17th century. How do you think beliefs from this time period continue to affect American culture?

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4: Southern Colonies & Northern Colonies

Post by Dain on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm

I think the slaves made a tremendous contribution to the production of tobacco. And tobacco production was the most important thing to profit from the colonies.However, the slaves eventually formed a hierarchy. And after that, the society became divided by black and white. Changes in religion and continued religious movements in Britain moved people to North America. At that time, I think America was a religious refuge, because it seems to have been freer than England. In England, many people died because of their faith. I think if I faced same situation, I might have left England and tried to settle down to America. flower

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 am

Religion in the Norther Colonies in the 17th century says that the colonists had conquered communities in the United States because of religious reasons. Religion of the United States involved political and social habit from UK. So, the culture is related to British communities. At that time, American wanted to get away from British rulers who are very strict. To the result of them, American began to rise protestantism, believing in God. The beliefs from this time period continue to affect American culture by giving important part of American identity with the universal values and the ability.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Native American had to grow tabacco for british. So, it made life of native Americans worse. British sold the tabacco that native American grew to other countrie more expensive. So, native Americans supporting the tabacco. It was not reasonable I think. So, they sould not treat them badly! In 17th century, America was related with British about religion. After British moved to America from thier own country, British affected life on America. For example, people who had strict religion from British settled in America. So native Americans could come across new cultures.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm

In Southern countries, the land was great enough to grow many different farm crops especially, they grew tabaccos. It was very efficient not only for the country that grew them but also the countries that bought them. They earned lots of money so they needed more and more workers to grow tobccos. This is why the slaves started to emerge. They brought slaves to work for more money. This obviously increasd the prduction of tobaccos but it also caused some problems too.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 pm

In southern countries, European settlers started tobacco business. By selling tobacco, British earned a lot of money, so that business became larger and larger. So, it demanded lots of workforce of slave labor. Finally it makes slave boom in the chesapeake during around the 18th centry. Tobacco plantation could success because of Native American's cheap workforce and the big land which could grow lots of tobacco, but it benefits only Europeans, and I think that made such a big hierachy between Native American slaves and the British.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 pm

I agree with Dain's opinoin. She said that the great tobacco plantation was actually made by a tremendous contribution of many slaves, but in the result, rather it devided people in hierarchy in 1700s. I agree with her thought which focused on negative effect, but I also agree with the benefits of tobacco plantation.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:47 am

At that time, tobacco was so famous crops in the Western society. So, a lot of people want to smoke tobacco, and they believed that tobacco had remedial effect. Furthermore, every people didn’t know tobacco’s dangerous side and negative effects. So, tobacco was great source of income to New World farmers. But, in New World, there were not enough workforce. At first, landowners took indentured servants. But, after the terms of a contract, they became free. However, landowners wanted more workforce and save money. So they took a slaves from Africa. After that time, people had a prejudice that black people must be slaves. This stereotypes made American society more hierarchically organized. And, finally, they invented “plantation.” That was the form of large-scale farm.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 am

I agree with Dain's opinion. Plantation clearly aggravate pre-modern slavery. Although slavery was abolished after the Civil war, this order of ranks and social hierarchy affected so long time. Even a long time, nowadays, America still has a racial discrimination problems. In other words, the love of money made so big problems to future.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 am

The early life in the Southern colonies were not that good, it was very hard because of cruel hunger, diseases, and so on. When the Native Americans were suffering, John Rolfe came to Jamestown with tobacco. And tobacco became the first cash crop in America. With tobacco, they could earn a lot of money and their life became better than before. However, finally because of tobacco boom, slavery in the Southern colonies were rising. So, tobacco was good for Southern colonies at first, but after it lead to bad effect to slavery.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:52 am

I agree with Myungy's opinion. she said they could earn a lot of money for tobacco, but it also caused more slavery. Because, they needed more slaves to grew more tobacco for their profit. And I agree with this part. I think tobacco cultivation was having both good effect and bad effect on Southern colonies.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 am

Slavery played a major role in the development of England in the 18th century. All colonies had slaves from Charles Town, South Carolina, to northern Boston. Slavery has influenced all aspects of colonial ideology. Also, the British received to Tobacco by Americans. Tobacco was originally a plant that grew up in America. The British wanted to take it away. They suppressed the Native Americans in an unjust way and stole Tobacco as their own. Slavery has become a springboard for their economic growth, and Tobacco also served as a stepping-stone for their political, economic, and social growth.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:24 am

My thoughts are different with Hj's opinion. Although the United Kingdom blew up the America in the wrong way, America finally became independent from Britain. If the America had not been influenced by Britain, they would have remained not develop well. I agree with her opinion that Tobacco cultivation would have made America a great success. However, it is inevitable that the America has developed a much faster development in the wake of the advanced technology of England.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am

I agree with Dain's opinion that the slaves made a tremendous contribution to the production of tobacco. I think that tobacco harvest made be rich for some people, too. From the result, there was more and more divided hierarchical layer. Therefore, tobacco caused to base of society hierarchy although it was just products of the country.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dain on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 am

CW said America's culture is related to British, but wanted to get away from British rulers. I agree with this opinion. Because in 17th century, Puritans and other people want to escape from Britain and moved to America. And they became settled in the new land. So, I think this sentence show us what is the main reason for migration

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 pm

There are many serious problems such as slavery problems. Most people think slaves are always black people but it is not. In Europe there are many slaves of course there is black but white too. And that slaves are the new continent people from new America it is not unfair but there is something effect there like tabacco. Tabacco was really wonderful goids to them because they can be money for them and it roled trading between other countries slavery is not goid but tabacco is the great goods

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

I agree with Arams opinion. She think taht development were made these problem as i said so i think it is really good opinion. And i was not good at that situation but i still agree with my and arams opinion and slave things are really serious problem that i thought.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm

The religion in the Northern colonies in 17th century were mostly Puritans. The Puritans in there were quite cruel. That Americans wanted to get away from it. The rules the Puritans made were very strict. They had this day called Sabbath, on this day, they were not allowed to drink, smoke a pipe, play music, and even work. It’s a fact that Puritanism continue to affect the American culture. I’ve heard that there are still so many Christians who are supporting Puritanism. It’s really amazing that they’ve inherited their religion for such decades. These days the influence of Puritans appears in American politics too.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm

I agree with Chae Won that she has mentioned the Puritans continue to affect the American culture untill these days. I like the part she has stated about the United State's politics. She had similar opinions that Americans wanted to get away from the Puritans, because they were too cruel.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 pm

When we think of slaves, most people think about black people. Just like BK. I was also the one who thought there were only black slaves. I didn't think about how slavery started. I only thought it was a bad thing. Knowing the backround of the history make it alot easier to understand that time. In Southern colonies they needed many workers. It is not bad to have workers but it is wrong to have forced unfair workers.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top