Week 2 -Early America

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 2 -Early America

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Choose a topic:

• Describe the earliest Americans before Europeans showed up.

•  Did Europeans treat the native people well? Give examples to support your opinion.

Rules:

1. Please answer the discussion questions in your own words.
  2. You may use quotations if you like, but you must cite your sources.
  3. Responses to the main topic should be 100 words or more.
  4. Responses to other students should be 50 words or more.
  5. Be polite!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://texasamkorea.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 2 -Early America

Post by Hyeji Shin on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 am

No, I think Europeans obviosly didn't treat the native americans well. When we think about Spanish, Christoper Columbus, he just wanted to found a new land, and his Queen Isabella's objective was to expand her kingdom's land. Like this, actually they didn't care about native people in the new land, so they treated them as their subjective or slaves. Also, while spanish conqueres ruled the native people, naitve americans were suffered from Europeans' diseases. I think maybe native americans were happy before Europeans arrived, because Europeans gave them steel and warfare, and also native americans had not been treated as inferiors before.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Week 2 - Early America

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

Before Europeans went to America, there were native americans. Altohugh Europeans later called them "Indian," they were not Indians and the continent was not Asia. In North America, nomadic tribes lived in there. They always moved to various place. And, in Central and South America, they lived in civilizations likes the Mexica and Incan Civilization. They obviosly had their own cultures and customs. For example, the Mexica Empire had so strong sovereign power. They invaded and looted the surrounding tribes, and there was a custom of human sacrifice. Because they worshiped the god of sun, and they believed that if they did not human sacrifice, the god will be angry and don't give the sun light. But, after European invasion, everything changed. Although, at firtst, the Mexica emperor called MontezumaⅡ welcomed the Spanish generl, Cortez. But, Cortez finally destroyed the Mexica.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 am

I think that Europeans did not treat the native people well. Because the reason why they found the new land is to plunder it and expand their kingdom's land, so when the native people tried to resist about losing their land, Europeans killed them rather than treating them well. Also they treated them as their slaves and they stole the native people's gold, too. In addition, they spread an infectious disease which did not exist in there before. So, because of this disease almost all the native people died. Even though few people survived, their old cultures and life were disappear already. When the first time that Europeans came to America, the native people help them to live well in there. But, in the end, Europeans betrayed their help. So, that's why I think that they did not treat the native people well.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 am

I think that Europeans did not treat the Native Americans, called Indian well. All European considered to be superior and outstanding to the Indians. The spaniards of Europeans attempted to conquest the Indians and ignored their culture including religion. Colonizing the Indians unconditionally, the Europeans tried to spread disease by them although they could not perceive the exist at first. The epidemic had caused to collape the Native American's civilizations. Europeans were unknown that the Indians did not have immunity system and they had died because of the dangerous epidemics such as smallpox, and respiratory. Not only the contagious diseases but also consuming alcohol lead to catastrophe. Received liauor from Europeans, a number of native people who were not aware of the alcohol's danger continuely drank and they gave rise to dead. As a result, the population of Native Americans had enormousely decreased.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dain on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Europeans didn’t treat native Americans as a human. Because after they arrived the new continent, they tried to settle down a new continent and try to count population. They counted all of the people in the new world but except the native Americans. And earlier, when the Mexiaca empire existed. They treat their leader as a puppet. And they used native American as slaves and through this they accumulated wealth.These tens of thousands indicate that the conquerors how to treat native Americans.
I think the conquerors don't think of Native American as the native residents of the Continental United States. So, I think of them as being treated properly.

Dain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaewon S on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

I agree with Somin's opinion that Europeans did not treat the native people well. Because she said that Native American's traditional cultures and life were disappear when Europeans arrive to America at first. For these result, Europeans ignored Indian's help and they considered to them like slaves as well as stole gold.

Chaewon S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:26 pm

When the Europeans came to America, there were people already living in there. Although Europeans were not the one who lived there frist, they treated people bad. They also misunderstood the land they were in and called the people Native Americans. Since the Europeans tried to colonize Amrica, they frighten people and used Native Americns as a slave. Also Europeans took over their lands and brought diseases from Europe which killed so many people and ruined their land. With all these brutality we can notice how Eroupeans treated Native Americans When they first arrived to new land.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonme2014 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I agree with HJ2's idea that Europeans didn't care about the people who lived before they arrived. The only thing they care about was their profit. So they treated Native Americans as a tool. She also said that they might be more peaceful and happy before the Europeans came but this is hard to know because there were many different tribes so they might fought against eachother.

sonme2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm

It’s easy to find the evidence that Europeans did not treated the native people well from our book. We can see that Europeans traveled to America to bring back and earn some profits from them. And It doesn’t matter if they just traded their goods with them and imported supplies in to Europe. However, the Europeans were never able to be satisfied by the amount of golds and other good the tribes gave. They captured the emperor of a tribe as a hostage, executed the emperor, and plundered all of their golds and silvers. It is also true that Europeans brought them lots of novelties to Americans, which helped Americans to develop their society a lot. But they might have lived in peace for a longer time if the Europeans never had landed on their land.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 pm

I think the European didn't treat well to Americans. They act to American like they are not human such as Americans are slaves. When the Columbus arrived at America he couldn't arrived if the queen Isabella didn't supply him he met the native Americans. I can't understand why they made the native Americans slaves? They can lived together, but they did not. European took disease to Indian and they were going to die. This problem is serious problem, but European took good things too such as corn and potatoes like we can eat things. And Spanish brought to European tabacco. It brought to Spanish millionare. European's act was not good for native people, but European brought to native Americans to good things. I don't want they fight, but I think that couldn't be possible a long time ago.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bokyung kim on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm

I agree with Dain's opinion because she said Europeans are not treated the native people as a human. It means they thought only found a new continent. That problem showed the people's selfish mind. It is not good at for everyone. And they used native Americans slaves always. Although they are a same human, but they didn't treated as well. I think the Dain's opinion is correct as my answer.

Bokyung kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:33 pm

We can see that Europeans treated Americans badly. Europeans forced them to work and took thier free. American's life was ruined by Europens. So, I believe that t what Europeans did is not resonable. If I was the American, I would hate the Europeans and I would live in sad mood. It makes me sad. I think the Americans wanted to live in thier own way and protect thier life because the Europeans took thier free. I think free is the most important requisite in our life and must be protected. If the free isn't protected, our life is not worthy because we lose our goal of life. So, what I want to say is that Europeans treated Americans badly by forcing them to work and taking thier own free.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dong uk on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

I agree with Hyeji’s opinion that the Europeans did not treated the native Americans well. Although it was hard for me to find out the reason that she mentioned Christopher Columbus on her statement, she has got some parallel perspectives with me. First of all, it can be seen by reading the part she has mentioned that native Americans rather suffered than to earn something from European’s invasion. The most matching opinion she had with me was the part she pointed out that Americans could have been happier if the Europeans did not come to their land.

Dong uk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeji Shin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

I agree with myungster's idea that Europeans didn't treat Native Americans well. They frightened people and even misunderstood them. Also since Europeans tried to colonize America, so many Native americans died and suffered by disease from Europe. So I think her opinion showed many evidences.

Hyeji Shin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyewon Kwon on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I agree with Chaewon's opinion. Because I think every culture have to be repected with their own value if they are not invade the human rights. But, European were not recognize Americans' own cultural customs and histories. They destroyed their civilizations and cultural heritages just for their greed of gold and territory. Although nowadays European people regret their wrongdoings, already disappeared histories, cultural heritages and native Americans' natural life force can't restore again completly.

Hyewon Kwon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Somin Lee on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I agree with Dain's opinion. She said that Europeans did not treat the native people, because they thought that the native people and the land was just a profit as a method of collecting wealth. And also they did not treat them as a human. So, when after I knew about these informations, I agreed with her opinion.

Somin Lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm

We can see that Europeans treated Americans badly. Europeans forced them to work and took thier free. American's life was ruined by Europens. So, I believe that t what Europeans did is not resonable. If I was the American, I would hate the Europeans and I would live in sad mood. It makes me sad. I think the Americans wanted to live in thier own way and protect thier life because the Europeans took thier free. I think free is the most important requisite in our life and must be protected. If the free isn't protected, our life is not worthy because we lose our goal of life. So, what I want to say is that Europeans treated Americans badly by forcing them to work and taking thier own free.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyeonjo on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I agree with hj2' opinion. Europeans treated Americans as slaves not same human. Columbus just found America for sailing something more quickly and easily. But, Europeans forced them to work. In addition, Europeans took free of native Americans. I think hj2 wrote something that I can sympathize. Also, I like that she exampled Columbus's story. So, I agree with hj2's opinion.

Hyeonjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:49 am

European did not treat the Native American. I am curious about why this question being. If European did treat the Native American, may be American did not independence from Europe. Native American would not want to escape from European if European had a good influence on the Native America. Also Korea was Japan colony. At that time many Korean people was died because of Japan. If Japan did treat Korea, it maybe Korea would be Japan. But Japan did not treat Korean and they have extraction of everything. All rulers only think of themselves, they don't care slave. European was too. They only think them. And European brought a serious disease. They brought not only diseases but also big change. When European arrived the America, many things were change a lot. Native American lost their original cultures. Many American's things were collapse. if you live in country that was colony before, you can feel how sorrowful it is. I was angry when Europe pressed on Americans when they controlled the Native American. Most dominant sates do not bestow much favor on the colony countries. So I can not say European were wrong. Would the world look different if they were a little more favor to Native Americans?

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aram on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 am

I agree with HJ1's idea. European didn't care enough. However, before I mentioned that most dominant countries can not bestow much favor on the colony countries. I rarely saw the dominant country favored by the colonial nations. But it would have been better if Europe treated Native Americans as the same people as the European, not the colony.

Aram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top